The orchestras are a vital part of the Camp. You will spend over four hours a day rehearsing, either with your section or with the entire orchestra.
Music will be sightread on the first night. The repertoire will undergo a large amount of refinement throughout the week where it can then be performed at a high standard on the Saturday afternoon.
There are no auditions before or at Camp. It is important that you familiarise yourself with the standards that are required for each orchestra, and that you place yourself accordingly. At the first rehearsal the section tutors will assess whether you will be able to play the repertoire chosen and will ask you to move to another orchestra if it appears that the music is going to be too hard or too easy for you to play. This system works really well, with the aim being that you get the most enjoyment and musical development from your week at Camp.
Please note that the orchestras listed below will run subject to numbers attending the Camp.
- you will need to be able to read and play proficiently in the key of D major (one sharp)
- you will need to read and be able to play fluently in the keys of C, G, D, F and B flat major (two sharps and two flats)
- violinists and violists will need to be able to play proficiently using low first and low second fingers
- cellists will need to play proficiently in first position using forward and backward extensions
- AMEB Grade 2 (or equivalent)
- you will need to read and be able to play fluently in the keys of E flat major to A major in C minor to F# minor (three sharps and three flats)
- violinists and violists will need to be able to play proficiently in first to third position
- cellists will need to play proficiently in first to fourth position
- AMEB Grade 3 – 4 (or equivalent)
- Repertoire for this orchestra includes unabridged classical scores in any key. You will be expected to sight-read these through once, then work on phrasing and articulation, without needing to repeat sections just to get the basic notes right.
- AMEB Grade 5 (or equivalent ) and above
Parent, please note:
The minimum age for unaccompanied children is 9yrs. Children under 9yrs can attend the Camp if they are accompanied by their parents. Campers are expected to attend all orchestra rehearsals (4 hours each day) and chamber rehearsals (2 hours each day). Most children thrive on this, but the very youngest are sometimes eager but unable to play for so long.
You can hear music played at recent camps in the Galleries.